Daily Dr. Roto—April 11, 2018
Fantasy Baseball News and Notes
The Washington Nationals placed OF Adam Eaton on the DL with an injured ankle. Other not surprising news–water is wet and it is hot in the sun. Brian Goodwin should get most of the starts in the outfield during Eaton’s absence.
The San Diego Padres placed OF Manuel Margot on the 10-day DL with a rib injury and activated Franchy Cordero in his place. Cordero is a five-tool player who could stick in the lineup if he gets hot early on. Pick him up now and watch him closely.
The Houston Astros are expected to activate 1B Yuli Gurriel from the DL on Friday. Gurriel is a very underrated player in Fantasy Baseball mainly because he does not have huge power. However, he hits for a good average, gets on base consistently, and provides solid counting stats. He’s a great pickup if someone dropped him in your league.
I hope that some of you played Marlins 1B Justin Bour yesterday in DFS. Not only did I put him in my article as a pickup, I put him in as a DFS Visionary play—and he hit two HRs! One of the beautiful things about Fantasy Baseball is that players usually end up playing to their mean. So, for example, if I predicted Justin Bour to hit 30 HR before the season and thus far he has zero HR, it is inevitable that Bour will start hitting for power. The trick is to time it correctly. Find the guys playing well in peaks and trade them for players who are in valleys. If you do this successfully, you will be well on your way to winning a Fantasy Baseball Championship.
DFS Plays: (Night Slate ONLY)
- Nick Pivetta (my Erasmo pitcher who has big K upside)
- Alex Wood (I tend to target the A’s on the road)
- Jon Lester (should have a great shot at the win)
- Chicago Cubs (my favorite stack of the day but will be popular)
- Los Angeles Angels (Matt Moore is a dumpster fire)
- Toronto Blue Jays (Slightly risky as Gausman can be good, but he can also be a gas can)
- Texas Rangers (Vegas has this game at 11.5 runs)
- Baltimore Orioles (Marco Estrada is a flyball pitcher in a flyball park)
- Kris Bryant—I am locking this guy in all my lineups tonight.
- Jeffrey Marte (hits well against LHP and should cost very little)
- Curtis Granderson (the Grandy man is playing well and usually hits leadoff against RHP).
Special Bonus Section: RBC Heritage Plays of the Week
Three Guys I like:
- Webb Simpson
- Brian Harman
- Zach Johnson
Three Guys I am Fading: (call it the Masters hangover)
- Dustin Johnson
- Paul Casey
- Marc Leishman
Two Players off the radar who can win:
- Tyrell Hatton
- Brandt Snedeker