Daily Dr. Roto — April 18, 2018
Fantasy Baseball News and Notes
— D’Backs SP Patrick Corbin continued his torrid start last night pitching a one-hit complete game with eight Ks. Someone asked recently on the Scout Fantasy Sports premium message board whether Nick Castellanos for Patrick Corbin was a fair deal and I said that I would much prefer Corbin. Although I like Castellanos and think highly of him, good starting pitching is hard to come by, and Corbin’s success looks like something that can continue moving forward. With another few good starts under his belt, his Fantasy owners might be able to get Castellanos AND another player for him.
— Marlins SP Jarlin Garcia was impressive against the Yankees yesterday, but I am a little troubled by the fact that he had five walks and only two Ks. So while I think Garcia has far out-pitched my expectations thus far, I have much trepidation unless he can fix his K: walk ratio.
— Why is DFS so frustrating? I loved the Oakland stack last night against White Sox train wreck SP Miguel Gonzalez. However, I thought that guys like Chapman, Olson, and Davis were going to do much of the damage. Instead, it was Mark Canha, Stephen Piscotty, and Jonathan Lucroy who were the big producers. Kudos to Jaguar Lou who nailed the A’s stack—way to go Lou!
— D’Backs SP Taijuan Walker was diagnosed with a UCL injury in his right elbow. I am sure he will go for a second opinion, but as of now, the expectation is that he will have Tommy John surgery. Expect to see Walker back after the 2019 All-Star Break.
— Colorado Rockies SP Chad Bettis is now 3-0 after a great game against the Pirates yesterday. Bettis threw only 85 pitches in 7 1/3 IP. If he can continue to be proficient with his pitches, he might supplant Jonathan Gray as the Rockies ace.
— Closer Watch: Tigers setup man Joe Jimenez had three Ks in 1 1/3 IP. Shane Greene might have gotten the save, but Jimenez is ready if given a chance. Stash him now on your reserve if he is available in your league.
— At this point, I would love to see the Brewers give the closer’s job to Josh Hader with Corey Knebel out for another month. Hader has been dominant this season, striking out 25 batters in a little over 11 innings pitched. With those kinds of numbers, Hader is proving his dominance and could provide a handful of saves which would further increase his value.
— Why do I love the revenge narrative? Texas Rangers Matt Moore threw seven innings last night without giving up an earned run against his old team, Tampa. I know Moore isn’t really that good, but he was motivated to beat his old team and did so handily. I also want to acknowledge Steve Renner who had a great point about the Rangers/Rays game in our ScoutDFS slack chat room. Renner mentioned that he thought the Rangers were a great contrarian play because a lot of players were going to use Yonny Chirinos as a DK SP2 because of his price ($4700). Renner’s analysis was spot on and if you stacked the Rangers you might be my rich friend today.
DFS Plays (Main Slate)
- Carlos Carrasco (pitching at a high level right now)
- Gerrit Cole (See Carrasco and kick it up a notch)
- Steven Matz (contrarian)
- Los Angeles Angels (Porcello is not as good on the road as he is at home)
- Los Angeles Dodgers (I normally avoid Petco, but Tyson Ross is pitching)
- Hanley Ramirez (I hated this guy all spring training, but to his credit, he’s picked it up this season, and he normally devours LHP)
- Odubel Herrera (he’s been locked in against RHP all season and McCarthy could easily leave one over the plate for Herrera to jack out of the park)
Click here to celebrate Dr. Roto’s recent $5K win! Sign up today using the Promo Code Doc5K and get a month of ScoutMLB DFS for just $10! That’s $14.95 off your first month of membership! (new subscribers only)
- Our MLB DFS content is EVERY DAY and unlike other sites, our team CONTINUES to focus on MLB after the all-star break. We don’t abandon you two months after you sign up for a six month product.
- *Full Access to our on fire MLB DFS Optimizer – Build and export up to 20 lineups at a time for a quick important into DraftKings and FanDuel!
- Daily Content optimized for all contests and Expert Picks from Steve Renner, FuegoSteve, JaguarLou and Rob Geriak.
- We watch the games, study the trends and recommend winners THAT WE PLAY.
- Participate in Livestream/podcasts and Slack Chat daily as well as seek expert help and strategy on lineup construction, tournament strategies and MLB DFS research tips
- Trust advice from those PLAY & WIN